Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Dainty Zig Zags

I finished up my zig zag quilt, I really like the way the colors worked together. I used mostly scraps but I did buy a tealy blue that I absolutely love. Seriously, love.
 Did you notice my mother of invention binding?  Oh my goodness.  The back is a teal fleece that complemented the fabrics really well so I thought I might just do a roll over binding, nice and easy.  Except that would shrink the size of the quilt and I really didn't want to do that.  So then I thought I'd use the tealy fabric I love... not enough of it.  So then I settled on the light purple basket weave that is in the zig zag.  As I was laying out my binding, it still wasn't enough.  I found and added another little piece of the purple, but it still didn't look like enough.  So I decided to extend the zig zag on one side.  Of course then it turned out that the purple would have been long enough, but whatever, I liked the zig zag.
 Afterwards, when I was about half way through hand stitching the binding I decided I would love the look of it bound in a solid gray with the gray between the binding zig zags.  If I actually had enough gray fabric I just might have torn it out.  As it is, that beautiful vision will have to wait until I do my chunky zig zag... and buy gray fabric.
 Considering this was my first foray into half square triangles, I think I did pretty good matching up my points and all that; especially considering my triangle "squares" end up at just 1.5" square.  Seriously, dainty.
I debated how to quilt this one.  I wanted to do zig zags, but couldn't decide if they should be equidistant or what.  So I kinda quilted the top half in pairs of lessening width.  I quilted the zig zags themselves right along the outer seam.  All hand quilting of course, I wouldn't even know where to begin to machine quilt.
 I like the crinkliness along the zig zags.  This one turned out nicely.  And it proves I don't just make quirky quilts.  And we're gonna need some proof; I have another nephew on the way and his nursery theme is jungle. And am I doing jungle.  Get ready not to tell.

This baby is headed to my shop. (do you see the fabulous teal? on the front roll between the purple basket weave and the light blue paisley)

(my button wasn't working so just click here
to get back to the other awesomeness of the festival)

9 comments:

Kat said...

I love your scrappy HST zig zags. Such a nice touch to extend the zig zags into the binding. Don't tell anyone it was a plan B (or was it plan C?) because it looks brilliant!

SoSarahSews said...

Lots of hsts! Very Cute!

Sue Daurio said...

Love the HSTs used for the zig zag, that is awesome!

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Love it love it love it! What a great idea for HSTs. Adding to my list . . .

Beth said...

I love what you did with the binding - very creative!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Another beautiful finish, Amanda! Great choice on the quilting -- it complements the zig zag beautifully! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

Katie said...

I love HSTs made into zigzags, and I think your colours are awesome! Great quilt :-)

Amanda Mc said...

I love the scrappy zig zag. Seeing lots of HST these days, maybe I should dive in.

Cassie said...

Love the zig zag! I love tiny pieces like that :) and the zig zag in the binding is amazing!