Ta-da! Here it is, the monsters. She asked for dark blue, light blue, red, orange, yellow, a hint of lime green, and some black and white. I got her crib dimensions, asked a few questions, and here's what she's getting. I hope it's what she had hoped for.
(I am so anxious about it actually. It's kinda intimidating making something for someone you don't know.)
I did another pieced back, using fabrics from the front. I like how the grid of quilting shows so well, and the different colors of thread from the contrasting blanket stitch.
Well I essentially was, but I'm not eager to repeat this anytime soon. It's just so long and skinny; it's not that easy to get in a hoop. I think the real thing that got to me was the blanket stitching. I'm pretty much resolved not to blanket stitch anything for years. Also, if anyone hears me say the words "invisible thread," just go take it from my sewing room.
But, I do love how the bumper turned out. I totally wish I had made my kids a bumper. So bottom line, it was a tricky quilting process, but not horrendous, I'd make one for my sister.
I used colored fabric for the corner ties and black and white for the center ties of the long sides. I didn't want to draw the eye to the center ties.
The bumper is blanket stitched just like the blanket and has monsters on the light blue. Each crib side has its own cute little monster.