Well, it's finished. I made this as a kinda run through before I make it as a ginormous quilt block. It was a good chance to try it all out and figure what I would do differently when I do it for real.
I also plan on appliqueing the deer and whatnot as I quilt it. I really hate quilting around applique. It seems really redundant and feels like poor planning. But if I quilt it as I applique it's like two steps in one and I love that.
The clock I bought as a kit at Michaels. The instructions said "assemble clock." Wow, that was a big help. I seriously thought I was breaking the hour hand, I really had to shove it into place. And of course it took me a couple tries to get it all just right and working. But it really does work. I made a clock; it's a fun sense of accomplishment.
But it really is going to my mom eventually (it's in a contest at my LQS right now). I just don't like the look of the zig zag around the applique, but like I said this was really just beta testing. I figure if my mom can't stand it she can always give it away at a baby shower.