The kids spent the last couple days at Grandma and Grandpa's. Owen spent the night then refused to leave so he and Lily stayed while I went and bought more thread (I ran out of light and dark blue the first day). Then as neither wanted to leave after that they stayed until Grandpa dropped them off on his way to work.
The end result was that Owen and Lily had a great time and I got the triangles finished.
The quilt top itself is nearly finished. I have to add the border, but considering everything else I've had to do I pretty much reached the no-brainer stage of assembly.
Last night I ironed the fabric for the backing (all 9 yards of it, yep, 27 feet) and the light brown for the border. Next step cutting.
(here's a pic of the back. you can see all the seams and how much sewing and ironing were involved.)